Curried butternut squash soup with roasted chickpeas
The new month just started and the real Autumn has come with the foggy mornings, cloudy days and rain is about to start. We finally can pull the coziest pajama pants and warm and soft sweater from the drawer. It is truly my favorite season. I feel so comfortable when it’s cold and rainy outside. You might think I’m crazy.. well, maybe a little bit 🙂
But, come on, Autumn food is the most comfort food that you can only imagine. I love to spend hours in the kitchen on Autumn season rather than on Summer time because it’s just simply too hot 🙂
The best part of this time of the year when you are cooking soup for dinner to warm up after cold day outside. Or bake a pie with flavorful filling. Or making a spicy curry with rice! I can continue the list and it will never gonna stop 🙂
We came back from Aspen couple days ago and I was so excited to go into this season with all the treasures that the nature gives us. Harvested seasonal vegetables and fruits, flavorful spices, hot coffee and tea, cozy blankets and your beloved ones.
I had a butternut squash in the fridge and I was very excited to make our first Autumn soup, especially when it’s moody outside, you know. I was about to roast it with some vegetables but then I decided to add some curry spice and it was the best decision for my entire life! haha :))) It smelled so damn good, I couldn’t wait to try it. It’s vegetarian and you can easily make it vegan if you’ll skip adding the heavy cream or you may substitute it to a coconut cream which sounds amazing by the way. Definitely gonna try it next time!
I love curry so much, I literally can eat it everyday. And I also a huge fan of the roasted chickpeas. They are so crispy, just like a popcorn! But if you’ll combine two these ingredients together… aw man, it’s just so good! Trust me!
All you need for this soup is a good butternut squash, fresh ginger, curry powder, chickpeas and rainy weather outside 🙂
Makes two portions
- One whole butternut squash
- Half of red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- One small piece of ginger, peeled
- 5 oz of canned chickpeas
- 1 ½ cup of vegetable broth
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 1 tbsp of curry powder
- ½ tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- ½ tsp of cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp of coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
- Preheat the oven at 400F. Peel the butternut squash, cut in halves and remove the seeds. Place into the roasting pan along with peeled red onion, garlic cloves and chickpeas. Season with all the spices, drizzle with olive oil and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Cool it down and blend everything up with vegetable broth, except for the chickpeas until smooth.
- Put the soup into the pot and cook for 1 minute on a low medium heat. Stir in some heavy cream and for another 3 minutes. Season if needed.
- Turn the heat off and let sit for couple minutes. Divide between two plates, top with roasted chickpeas, clove sprouts and some extra heavy cream. Serve with toasted bread.